THERE was BAFTA joy for Paul Mescal last night after the actor scooped a prestigious award for his now-iconic role as Connell in Normal People… but just how did Mescal get match-fit for the part?
According to sources close to the newly-appointed Best Actor, Mescal:
- Went to a number of debs balls before filming began, so that he could fully immerse himself in the mindset of a young lad in rural Ireland who was ‘let out’ for the first time.
- Played full-forward for a GAA team for the entire summer, scoring dozens of goals and getting into countless pull-apart brawls on the pitch (rumour has it that Mescal is not welcome in Westmeath anymore following an incident that he claimed was a ‘fair shoulder’).
- Wore Connell’s iconic chain day and night, despite being allergic to the metal to the point where he broke out in boils for weeks.
- Had his legs lengthened and his arse heightened in order to make Connell’s GAA shorts look especially scandalous on him.
- Switched his preferred tipple from Smithwicks to cans of Coors Light, as it was ‘more like what a young lad would drink’. Mescal also refused to go to a pub during the entire shoot, opting instead to do all of his drinking beside a canal or behind a bush.
- Re-sat his Leaving Cert, to properly get into the mindset of a 17-year-old being crushed by the sheer pressure of having to cope with exams and riding all around you.
- Purchased, customised and constantly washed a 2007 Honda Civic.
- Refused to accept praise for anything, to the extent that when handed his award last night his instinct was to say ‘ah no, you’re grand’.
We appreciate all the help we can get, become a WWN Patreon Supporter below and gain access to bonus content.Become a Patron!